Captain Scott Newell

February 25th 2010

We received a call in reference to an older gentleman who choked an in-house nurse and assaulted another female in the house. He was known to have mental issues but had not caused harm to anyone. When the officers arrived he was sitting on the couch in the living room and stated he had not done anything wrong but there was a lot of things happening in the neighborhood and in his home. The officers tried to get him to go with them while commitment papers were obtained. Sgt. Hinson called and wanted to know if I would come by because he knew I had been to CIT.

After arriving at the scene I asked most of the officers to leave the room and I began talking to the gentleman in question. I spoke in a quite tone asking him things about himself. He told me he was Jesus Christ's son, asked me why Hitler had stolen an emblem that belonged to Jesus etc... He talked about his service time and things he had done and I could tell he was proud of his service to Country. I noticed he had a lot of billfolds and pouches in his pocket and asked him about them. He started to show me different coins and crosses stating he could move mountains with his hands and would then go back to talking about training women in the service for special missions. I decided he respected rank and stated "I have not introduced myself to you have I"? He stated no. I took off my jacket so he could see my rank and introduced myself as Captain Newell the Commander over the district he lived in. I told him that I knew he was at a higher authority than me but that I wanted to help him and the only way he would be able to leave was with my Sgt. I told him I needed to check into his complaints and report back to him what I found. I explained to him that everyone looked to him for leadership and following the rank structure they would listen to me and I could investigate if he left. He asked for his cap and coat and just about ran me over getting out to the car to go with Sgt. Hinson. I walked out to the car and buckled him in and told him he needed a checkup while he was out and that I was going to have the Sgt. take him to the hospital for tests at which he agreed. After talking with Sgt. Hinson I found out he stayed calm the entire time he was with him at the hospital.

Respectfully submitted,

Captain Scott Newell

September 9th 2009

Well it finally happened to me and without CIT training I probably would have been injured or yet killed.

On Wednesday Night around 9:00 p.m. I heard radio traffic in reference to a 49 year old b/m at the Five Oaks Nursing Center who had assaulted another resident and was ranting and raving causing havoc in the home. I arrived with back up a good ways out. When I entered the facility nurses were taking patients out of their rooms where this man was going off. As I started down the hall a couple of nurses stated "you are going to need help he is big and out of control". I asked them what his name was and they told me. As I got to the end of the hall where it connects to an adjoining hall I spotted the man wearing socks, basketball type pants and a shirt. He looked at me and I quietly stated his name and asked "what's going on tonight that has you upset?” He stated the took my crackers and I beat his a--. The man he was talking about was a terminal cancer patient who was just getting something from the snack tray that was coming around. The consumer/resident had scraped the victims face with his fingernails and punched him several times. I told the consumer that I was there to help him and asked him if he would let me help take care of him. He started cussing and moving about in a frantic state. He then said I am going to kill that and ran down the hall towards a room. The nurses screamed to do something because they could not lock the door. I ran after him calling his name as he was trying to get into the room. I put my flashlight up around his neck and started to apply pressure. He resisted and I leaned up close to his ear and told him again, "I was there for him and please do not make me have to apply more pressure. I asked him what he wanted me to do and he stated "call my brother". I asked him to go down to his knees and released some of the pressure and began to pat his chest area and in a calm voice. I told him I was not going to let anyone hurt him and I was there to help him. As he got on the floor another female officer showed up and I told him she was a friend of mine and was not there to hurt him. I cuffed him and could only get them to click once because his wrists were so big. He was about 5'9" and 230 pounds of a man. I told him that I wanted to get him outside to get some air and I was going to call his brother and again stated, "My name is Scott". I continued to talk in a very calm voice to him and asked him if I could help him up, he agreed and we walk outside at. As other officers came in I would pat his chest and tell him they were friends of mine and they were not going to hurt him. I often asked now what is my name again. He would say Scott and I would praise him for remembering my name. He calmly went outside with me while I talked in a low tone of voice with him assuring him I was going to call his brother. When we got outside an ambulance and fire truck were coming in and so as not to alarm him I told him that they were there for a patient and not to worry about the noise and confusion because he was with me and I was not going to let anything or anyone hurt him. The cuffs were hurting him so I told him we would get a bigger pair if he would behave himself. He also wanted some shoes so I asked one of the nurses to please get his bedroom shoes. I had him lean against the car and kept talking to him and asking if he remembered my name and he would say, "Scott". I would praise him for it. We changed out the cuffs putting two pairs together so as not to hurt his wrists. He said "I am sweating and want to lie down", so I took him to a patrol car and told him I would turn the air on and let him sit with his feet outside the car. His shoes were brought and I put them on and asked if that was better. I assured him again I was there to help him through anything that was going to happen. I called his brother in Charlotte who told me he had a brain injury from working a construction job and was there to recuperate. The victim did not want to prosecute saying he only had a couple of months to live and just wanted to be left alone. Instead of arresting him I arranged for his brother to come to the police department and pick him up after getting his medicine from the nursing home. Before he left I asked him if he trusted me and he stated "yes". I then explained to him what was going to happen. He remained calm and got into the back of the police car and was taken to the police department where his brother came and picked him up. During this time the other officers were watching what I was doing and how I spoke to him. They mentioned my calm tone and manner with him. They were amazed at how he went from out of control to calm. Or course I told them that I had learned this from the CIT training and that it could save them from getting hurt or even killed.

I have no doubt that if I would not have approached him in the way I did it would have been a very bad situation and someone would have been hurt. I explained the CIT program to the nurses and the administrator who had shown up by then and they said they had never seen anything like it and had tried to get him to calm down but he was just out of control until I got there. If felt very good to keep a cool head and use the information I had gained from CIT training. It helped in making for a safe and successful removal of someone who was violent.


Captain Scott Newell
Concord PD